dinsdag 2 juli 2013

A Jehovah Witness

"Ah, a no table conference!" and I pointed towards a group of people who were seeming to discuss things on a street corner.
"Jehovah witnesses," answered my wife and now I noticed that one of them, a man with a dark suit, had a sort of clip board in his hands. They obviously were dividing up the neighbourhood among each other.
There was the leader, two women with a child, a couple with a child in a pram and a skinny man with drooping shoulders. Luckily this was not our neighbourhood, but they were close.



I remembered these days in the Netherlands when we would discuss the harassment they caused on the weird times they paid you a visit. We thought about a sign on the door: No knocking at our door before noon. We are allowed by God to sleep late.
Even more after I once started a discussion with a Jehovah. I told the man at the door that wars mostly are caused by religion and that Christianity maybe had the worst record of all. He started fuming and threatening, I thought he was going to attack me. But instead he yelled: People like you cause wars!
After that I was fed up with him and told him to leave my doorstep, otherwise I would call the police. He had placed one of his feet in a manner that I could not close the door. I threatened to slam the door on this foot. But he took it away and walked from my path while shaking his fist to me and yelling things I could not understand. And all this while he was a Dutch man, just like me.



The next week we saw the group again, this time our neighbourhood would get a treat. We did not wait for this, an afternoon in the pub with nice live music is a lot better than arguing with somebody at your door.
But the day after there was a knock at the door. At first I thought there was nobody, maybe children fooling around? I opened the door anyway and there he was: the skinny man with the drooping shoulders. He was younger than I expected when I saw his face.
"I have a great message for you", he said almost apologising and he waved his Watchtower at me. I almost expected him to say: "I guess you are not interested." But he didn't.
So I said: "I'm not interested". He answered in a friendly way: "Have a nice day."
And he shuffled from our path to go on with his fruitless work.
==================================================================

2 opmerkingen:

  1. The big difference between Jehovah's Witnesses and other Christians is that the Watchtower Society's central core creed proclaims Jesus second coming in October 1914.
    They sometimes try to obscure this today and say that he came *invisibly*.Yes,all other Christains are awaiting Jesus return,the JW say he ALREADY came in 1914.
    Reports from TIME Magazine-*An even more extreme example of what might be called *masked churn* is the relatively tiny Jehovah's Witnesses, with a turnover rate of about two-thirds*.
    That means that two-thirds of the people who were raised Jehovah's Witnesses no longer are.
    Jehovah's Witnesses are the highest loss of any religion.
    --*tell the truth don't be afraid*--Danny Haszard
    FMI dannyhaszard(dot)com

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. I thought they'd abandoned 1914, tried a couple of other dates and were now refusing to predict it any more. Maybe it varies from country to country.
    I had a lovely reaction from two when they asked me who I thought was responsible for all the wars going on and I said "God!" Naturally they were surprised but wanted to know how I reached that conclusion so I told them that if God was omniscient He knew when He created the world that He was creating a world in which there would be war, starvation, plagues etc and that that was obviously the sort of world He wanted.
    They went away for a week then came back and claimed that He'd chosen not to know what He was doing! :-)
    I then replied that according to other JWs there were fulfilled prophecies in the Bible so He must have known what was going to happen.
    I haven't been bothered by them for a while. Maybe I've been blacklisted.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen